I’m not very good at setting goals and, more importantly, sticking to them. But it’s traditional to do so at this time of year so I’ve decided to set myself some writing goals for this year. I’m under no illusions that I’ll achieve them all but it’s something to aim for, isn’t it?
1. I want to write regularly. I’m guilty of wasting time and faffing around which gets very little done. This year I’d like to be more disciplined about my writing rather than playing about at it. To make this happen I’m going to schedule some writing time into my day – time to spend with the TV off (my worst distraction!), time when I won’t feel guilty about spending time writing (it’s not messing about after all).
2. I’d like to get at least one piece of extended writing done this year. No more bits started and never finished on the laptop, a proper piece of writing that has a beginning, middle and end! I’m not going to put too much pressure on by saying I want to write a novel but I’d like to end the year feeling as if there’s a finished ‘something’ on the laptop.
3. I want to write more poetry. I have tended to move away from poetry recently despite writing a fair bit when I was younger – very pretentious stuff mainly but a few pieces that I still like.
4. I would like to feel brave enough to submit some writing for competitions or prizes. Naturally I’ll need to have a body of decent work to choose from which means getting 1 and 3 sorted but it would be a real boost to my confidence to do something like that.
5. This would be a good year to release some more of my writing into the wild. I’m very reluctant to share my writing with others as I’m lacking in confidence about what I write. I think I need to engage with more writers and have the confidence to set my writing out for some serious scrutiny. Although it’s a bit scary to think about dong it …
6. This is the ‘pie in the sky’ one. I’d like to get a piece published somewhere. Nothing like publishing my first novel but maybe a little piece in a local paper or magazine. Small start but you know what they say about acorns!
So those are my writing goals. Here’s hoping I revisit them at the end of the year and can report some success!